Re: Hamm frozen, Slink created

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Amos Shapira wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> |Hard links would specially help with the msdos directory, as several
> |dos/windows ftp clients don't follow symlinks and the user ends up with a
> |bunch of zero length files.
> |
> |What's the penalty Guy?
>
> Prohibitive, as others explained.
>
> But what about reversing the direction of the links?  Long names can
> be groked by UNIX, as well as the symlink semantics.  So put the files
> under their MSDOS names and create symlinks from the UNIX tree back to
> the MSDOS tree.  Should really make life easier for CD users as well
> (at least I wished I had this option back when I installed 1.3).

I like this, as an original design. The problem is that at this point it
would require a complete reconstruction of the archives, and major
rewrites to dinstall. I'm pretty sure that Guy doesn't have the personal
bandwidth to deal with the conversion. (I'm sure Guy can speak for
himself ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf
--