Multiple versions of the same package

Sometimes you want to have different versions of a package to be ready
for running. E.g. various kernels, binary packages for different
architectures on an LAN, beta, alpha and source versions for testing.

With the given Filesytem and our Debian packages, it
is quite difficult to achieve this goal.

So we may discuss an Package Hierachy Standard. The key idea is to
give each version of any package a seperate directory for the sources
and for the binaries of any architecture. By this approach it is
possible to store any package or version on any disk of the given
LAN, so that each binary can be local accessible and disk overflows
can be avoided. It is also possible to rebuild a package automatically
for any architecture.

Like gnu-stow it is also possible to link the files to standard places
of the FHS/FSSTND.

A sample tree:

$PACKAGE_MANAGER_HOME_DIR/

  +--- config/

  +--- storage/
  |     |
  |     +--- $STOREAGE/                 -- some directory of the LAN

  +--- made/
  |     |
  |     +--- $CLASS/                    -- the architecture

  +--- packages/

        +--- $PACKAGE/

              +--- config/

              +--- made/
              |     |
              |     +--- $CLASS/        -- the architecture

              +--- $VERSION

                    +--- config/

                    +--- sources/       -- where to find this version

                    +--- original/

                    +--- build/
                    |     |
                    |     +--- $CLASS/  -- the architecture

                    +--- made/

                          +--- $CLASS/

--
Stefan Karrmann                                    __
                                                  / /\