changing doom's upstream source

So far, the debian doom package has been based on the original source from
ID, plus lots of fixes by yours truely. Now, there have appeared on the scene
several versions of doom, like Doom Legacy (http://www.frag.com/doomlegacy/)
and Dosdoom (http://www.frag.com/dosdoom/), that add new features (like the
ability to look up and down), and bug fixes. Doom Legacy looks like it might
be promising, but currently Dosdoom seems to be in the best shape for linux.
(And it supports 16bpp!).

None of these varients has been around long enough for one to emerge as the
best. Currently the development work is very fragmented. However, looking at
what's been done, I think I should change the debian doom package over to
one of these doom varients, just to cut down on duplicated work. I'm
currently considering using dosdoom as the new source package, and keeping
the binary package named doom.

Should I do this? Or should I orphan doom and make a new dosdoom [1] package?
Dosdoom is completly backward compatable with doom, and all the new features
can be disabled easily.

--
see shy jo

[1] sheesh, I hate the name dosdoom for a doom package, but that's the name
    the upstream people are using :-/