Re: New release of PostgreSQL needs testing

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:

> Release 6.3-2 of PostgreSQL has been uploaded tonight (through chiark).
> This release closes all current bugs.
>
> Problems: the libpq++.{a,so*) library is temporarily removed, since it
> fails to compile with the new g++ package.  I have so far had no response
> to my message asking for help about that.
>
> lintian reports an rpath problem with lib:
> W: libpgperl: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004/auto
> /Pg/Pg.so /usr/lib:/lib
>
> This appears to be put in by the MakeMaker generated Makefile; I don't know
> how to stop MakeMaker putting this in.

Lintian reported a similar problem with my libcurses-perl package; I
suspect it is harmless and the author of it needs to be made aware of
the issue.

On a side note, do you (or anybody?) maintain the DBI driver for
Postgres (DBD::Pg)?  If not, you might want to consider maintaining
it; if you don't want to, I probably will.  If you are already
maintaining it, it probably needs to be re-released for 6.3.

John

> If anyone can test and report on this release, and in particular, if
> anyone can help me solve these problems, I shall be grateful.

I will probably get some new installations by Tuesday.  I'll be sure
to report bugs if I run into any problems.

Thanks for your work on this!

BTW, are you a member of the Postgres team?  I seem to remember that
you maybe are.  If so, I have been experiencing the occasional core
dump from postmaster on BSDi and some odd behavior.  I can provide you
with some details on this if you'd like.  If I have you confused with
somebody else, please ignore this paragraph :-)

Regadrs,

John

--
John Goerzen             | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming       | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for