Re: package dependency as applied math (was: Re: tape deity)

Hi,

John> Jason Gunthorpe writes:
>> ...you may -NEVER- have predepends looping or predepends+depends
>> looping which means it is always possible to create an order where
>> all dependandants (and their dependants) of all predepends come
>> before the predepend.

John> Has anyone attempted a mathematical model of the general
John> dependency problem?  It looks like a graph theory problem;
John> perhaps there is already a general solution.

	Of course. It is a simple topological sort. How do you think
 that the ordering code works? pkg-order, and now deity, anre
 not haphazard trial and error methods.

	The issue is more complex than simple graph theory algorithms;
 since diffrent actions requirte different set of edges in the
 graph; also, not all nodes are equivalent, and not all edges
 have the same cost.

	Consider the invariants that must never be broken to retail a
 working system, and you have a gliimering of the complexity that is
 involved.

	manoj
 we are not all code first, think later genre of hackers, you know
--
 The inability to benefit from feedback appears to be the primary
 cause of pseudoscience.  Pseudoscientists retain their beliefs and