Re: Splitting the distribution for CDs

> Is that a request to unconfigure chimera before unpacking xlib6-2
> instead of using the unpack of chimera to clear the depends? I have no
> issue with unconfigured packages that are broken, I have simply made a
> big effort to minimize configured packages that are broken.

The former.  You _must_ deconfigure something if you break its
dependencies, otherwise you violate the invariant that dependencies
are supposed to provide.

dpkg can be told to do this automatically (though it won't currently
auto-deinstall conflicting packages).

> I will say that having a single package file with both cd's contents
> will complicate things. I would like to have a single package file
> per-cd. This means to start things going the user will have to pop in
> two CD's but that is okay. The two CD bit is needed to get a unique
> handle on the CD so it can be determined which is which..

I want people to be able to make CDs by putting files matching one
pattern onto one CD and other files onto the other, straight from our
archive site - and preferably for them to be able to select the
pattern.  This means that the CDs have to have a common Packages file.

Can't you just stat(2) the files to find out which are where ?  stat
is quite cheap, even for a CD ...

Ian.