Re: Initial draft proposed consitutution (v0.1)

On 19-Mar-1998, Ian Jackson <leader@debian.org> wrote:
> I have put my first draft of a constitution (decisionmaking procedure)
> up on the www at
> <URL:http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/debian-organisation.html>
>
> Please comment on it - here on debian-devel, please, rather than by
> private email.

I have a few comments/suggestions to make.

1. The purpose of the constitution should be stated somewhere. Section 0
maybe?

This ensures that the document itself evolves around its purpose and does
not grow randomly.  It will also make the document more readable for a first
time reader because he will know what its purpose is.

Something along the lines of:
  "This constitution intends to define the Debian organization, its
structure, goals, and its operation."

2. Need a more logical order of the document.

  Begin with the introduction, then list ths SPI ties, then list the basic
goals.  At this point the basics of who/what Debian is is defined.  Next, go
into more details of the goals and how they are to be accomplished.

  At this point, any first time reader knows what debian is, what its about,
and how it plans to accomplish its goals.

  Then go into the organizational structure, procedures, and politics.  Not
everyone who reads this document will necessarily be interested in these
topics, and the people who are will look for them.

  The Appendices are good where they are.

This is a format I've used in product specification documents, and also for
clubs while in college.  I've found it to be successful and easy to read for
both first time readers and people with a vested interest in the entire
content.
I'd be willing to help out with the writing as well.  Feel free to contact
me.

Nils Lohner

--
Nils Lohner                             E-Mail: lohner@icd.teradyne.com
Custom Design Engineer                  Phone:  617-422-2734