Re: [pgp] Which to install

Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> Bob Hilliard wrote:
>
> >      As long as you are using it in the U.S., you should use pgp-us to
> > comply with the law.  Your citizenship and residency status are
> > immaterial.  (Of course, it is very unlikely that the cybercops will
> > check your machine to see what is on the hard disk. :-)  )
>
> <Off Topic>
>
> Does this also mean that I could use the 128-bit version of Netscape
> Communicator?
>
> </Off Topic>
>
> I remember reading at MIT's PGP site (about a year back) that non US
> citizens living the US could not download PGP from the US but could download
> the same version from abroad and use it.

     As I understand it, the law prohibits _exporting_ encryption.
Some aspects of the encryption used by pgp are claimed to be covered
by a U.S. patent, but the pgp-us version has a license permitting its
use in the U.S.  Of course, I'm not a lawyer, and may be all wet.
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@metrolink.net>