Re: Why is root write permission necessary for installed files?

[You (Kevin Dalley)]
>When I run lintian on gwm, it complains about non-standard-file-perm
>of 0444 on various files in /usr/lib directories.  0644 is the
>preferred permission.  Why is root write permission necessary on
>files?
>
>If necessary, I will change the permission on all the files, but I
>would rather leave it as the Makefile installs it.  Since anything
>installed on /usr should be capable of running on a read only
>partition, it should be safe to have such files be unwritable by root.

This is specified by Debian Policy.  Read the policy document to find out
more.  There are good reasons for it, and it has no effect on the ability
of local sysadmins to mount /usr read-only.

BTW, the best way to fix this is to just dig a bit into the upstream
makefile and change the way it installs to

  install -o root -g root -m 644