Re: Taking over vnc, vnc-doc. Also xdm information request.

On Sun, Mar 15, 1998 at 01:08:02PM +0100, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> Why don't you add Xvnc to /etc/X11/Xservers ?
> some line like :
> :1 local /usr/bin/Xvnc.xdm

This does not work, at least not for me. When I have only such a line, all
is okay (hey, really nice such a xdm window under svgalib ;)

But when I have both:
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -bpp 16
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvnc :1 -query localhost -fp tcp/localhost:7100

I get strange behaviour: more than one xdm-shadow will run, they will kill
themself, change console, etc...

Xvnc gives me this with option -query localhost:

XDMCP fatal error: Session declined No valid address

What does this mean?

And, at last, /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers is a conf file from xbase ;)

> you should write a Xvnc.xdm script to start Xvnc with the correct
> parameters (-fp, -query locahost, ...)

I don't get it working properly :(

> Btw : please make the perl script read a config file, and so no direct
> changed in the perl script are necessary.

This is on the top of my todo list. Christoph made the package, ahem, a
little quick. Also will my next release be able to read gziped fonts, and
I'll include a somewhat unstable svgaviewer. I also make three packages,
splitting the viewer from the server (I made them Conflict and Replace vnc,
is this okay?)

> The default perl script doesn't match a debian system anyway (e.g.
> debian systems use /etc/X11/Xsession).

Okay, do you saw more inconsistencies? What is your wishlist of options?

Thank you,
Marcus