Re: Intent to package kth kerberos (krb4 or heimdal, not sure which)

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Elie Rosenblum wrote:

> > I'm not particular familiar with IPsec but SKIP provides
> > authentication.  True you could use Kerberos but it would be
> > redundant.  Not to say that Kerberos wouldn't be nice to have in
> > Debian but, as you mentioned earlier, it would require patching all
> > network applications.
>
> Sort of. SKIP provides IP level authentication and encryption. Kerberos
> provides user instance level authentication and encryption. Completely
> different levels of security, there, and both useful for different
> purposes.

I'm at the limit of what I know now but you may be correct here.

> I don't think you're really seeing the distinction. SKIP only authenticates
> IP packets. ssh authenticates users (if you want it to). Kerberos is an
> identity verification and ticketing system, with a centralized authority
> system. Entirely different.

SKIP does provide a mechanism for key management.  At what level I'm
not sure.  They may not be a so different.  I'll do a bit of research
here to find out.

> All three are useful in different ways, and I'd like to see them all
> available for debian (but, my own time is way too tight to try to pull
> off packaging kerberos; just started a new job last month).

True.

--
Jean Pierre