Re: ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/qmail/dist.html]

On Wednesday, March 11 1998, at 18:37:55, Raul Miller wrote:
: There's one point on Dan's binary package issues list that I
: don't think Debian deals with:
:
:    How is the currently running sendmail daemon killed? Is there any risk
:    to user processes? How is the sendmail queue flushed? How is the
:    sendmail binary disabled?
:
: As far as I know, we just leave messages in transit in the outgoing
: message queue when a mail transport agent is removed.

I've cut-and-pasted what Dan says in INSTALL (from qmail-1.01
sources):

--- cut here ---
Upgrading from sendmail to qmail:

20. Read INSTALL.boot. You must replace the sendmail invocation in your
    boot scripts with an appropriate qmail invocation.
21. Kill the sendmail daemon. You should first kill -STOP the daemon; if
    any children are running, you should kill -CONT, wait, kill -STOP
    again, and repeat ad nauseam. If there aren't any children, kill
    -TERM and then kill -CONT.
22. Replace sendmail with a link to qmail's ``sendmail'' wrapper:
       # mv /usr/lib/sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail.bak
       # ln -s /var/qmail/bin/sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail
23. Set up qmail-smtpd in /etc/inetd.conf (all on one line):
            smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
            tcp-env /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
    Also comment out comsat in /etc/inetd.conf.
24. Reboot. (Or kill -HUP your inetd and make sure the qmail daemons
    are running.)
25. Try to flush the sendmail queue:
       # /usr/lib/sendmail.bak -q
    You can safely run sendmail.bak -q (or even sendmail.bak -q15m)
    while qmail is running. Do this until the sendmail queue is empty.
    This may take several days.
26. Disable all the sendmail and binmail programs in your system.  The
    safest approach is to chmod 0 everything. Some locations to check:
    /usr/sbin/sendmail, /usr/lib/sendmail.bak, /usr/lib/sendmail.mx,
    /bin/mail, /usr/libexec/mail.local.
27. Make sure that ``mail'' still invokes a reasonable mailer.  Under
    SVR4 you may want to link mail to mailx.
--- cut here ---

Regards,
--
Roberto Lumbreras