Re: HAMM FREEZE IS ONE WEEK AWAY

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Brian White wrote:
>
> > I'm going to move all those packages into project/orphaned at the same
> > time as the freeze.  The same goes for any non-essential package with
> > critical, grave, or important bugs open.
>
> I was thinking about exactly the same, but the real problem is how to
> detect orphans!
>
> Perhaps we should check the date of the last package upload, the number of
> open bugs, etc. and try to detect the real unmaintained packages by this.

Isn't "the package has important bugs" enough for a criterion? Packages
without bugs don't need to be moved out of main, I think.

> > > Here is a list of tags which I would consider as `important', thus
> > > `release-critical.' (The numbers indicate how many packages currently are
> > > affected.)
> > >
> > > N:    bad-link-to-undocumented-manpage(7)
> > > N:    control-file-has-bad-owner(12)
> > > N:    debmake-templates-in-copyright(7)
> > > N:    file-in-usr-local(1)
> > > N:    ldconfig-symlink-missing-for-shlib(8)
> > > N:    libc5-binary(66)
> > > N:    md5sum-mismatch(4)
> > > N:    md5sums-lists-nonexisting-file(63)
> > > N:    no-copyright-file(178)
> > > N:    special-file(1)
> >
> > The only one I think we should leave is the "libc5-binary" one.  Sometimes
> > it can't be recompiled because of incompatibilities with the current libc6.
>
> Ok, then I'll not report important bugs if it's only "libc5-binary".

But wasn't the one of the release goals that everything in 'main' should
depend on libc6 (or no libc at all, of course)? Things in contrib or
non-free don't count here, because the source might not even be available.

What packages in 'main' are so much trouble to convert to libc6 and are so
important to the distribution that a libc5 version will be allowed in
Debian 2.0?

Remco
--
blaakmeer:  9:45pm  up 7 days,  2:15,  9 users,  load average: 1.04, 1.11, 1.26