Re: removing non-essential packages (was HAMM FREEZE)

> > Just a reminder to everyone that, barring exceptional circumstances, Hamm
> > will be frozen on March 16th.  I will be restricting uploads at that point
> > to bug-fixes only.  I'll also be removing all non-essential packages that
> > still have critical, grave, or important bugs open.
>
> *All* non-essential packages? You can't do that!

I can and I will.  Keep in mind that I'm not talking about "essential" as
in what the priority used by dpkg.  I'm talking about those packages
that should reasonably be expected to exists.  This includes things
like gcc, emacs, X, etc.

> Are you sure you are going to orphan all those packages only because they
> have a "severity:important" bug?

If, after all this time and all the notices, the package has not been
fixed, then obviously the maintainer is no longer maintaining.  Moving
them to project/orphaned will make it obvious to others who may wish
to maintain those packages.

If the current maintainer uploads a new version, then it will move back
to the main distribution.

> For example, I would much prefer a finger daemon that it is not 8-bit
> clean than no finger daemon at all!!

Then I suggest you downgrade the severity of the bug.

If a bug is a release requirement, then it must be met before Debian 2.0
can be released.  It's not worth holding up the release because there is
no finger daemon.  If there was none written, we wouldn't wait until
one was written.

Perhaps people should reconsider the differences between a "release
goal" and a "release requirement".  Only those things which are
requirements should be critical, grave, or important.

When labeling a bug as critical, grave, or important, you are stating that
the distribution would be better off without this package given that
this bug exists.

It would be nice to wait until all release-goal bugs (or even all bugs,
for that matter) were fixed, but that is simply not realistic.  At some
point, you have to draw a line and say there are in and these are out.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )