Re: Future of Netscape packages

Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:

> > Since Netscape now has "unlimited distribution", it would be nice
> > to see a non-installer Netscape package with the binaries included.
>
> As I understood it, it was only the new version.  Previous versions (both
> 3 and 4) still can't be distributed that way.  Please let me know if
> I'm incorrect about this.

I think you are incorrect.  The new license allows anybody to
redistribute the binary of version 4 (at least).

The only real stumbling block I see is that they want you to sign up
with them.  But it doesn't seem to be like the gated situation -- the
license doesn't seem to restrict itself to people that have signed up.

Of course, it will still have to go into non-free.

Even down the road, "Netscape" will have to remain in non-free -
because (from what I understand) they will not release source for the
Netscape-branded browser.  They will only release binaries, from what
I understand.

They will release source for "Mozilla", which will be the core code of
Netscape and will be under their NPL license.  But it won't be
possible for us to compile 'mozilla' sources and get 'netscape'
binaries (because that name is trademarked, and reserved for their
corporate binary releases).

Cheers,

 - Jim