Re: new PostgreSQL

>   >I have another proposition: Do not make package conflict with previous
>   >version, let dselect upgrade it, but stop the server and do NOT restart
>   >it. Display a notice that in order to make old database work, sys admin
>   >should  follow instructions in /usr/doc/postgresql/Readme.uprgade and
>   >modify /etc/init.d/postgresql. In the latter, you just put short
>   >instructions and reference to that Readme and "exit 0" before the
>   >start-stop script itself, with a notice to remove this "exit 0" after
>   >data is dumped and restored.
>   >
>   >How about it?
>
> I like it in theory, but will it actually work? What is the actual sequence
> of events when dpkg does an upgrade of a package?
>
> In order to dump the old database, the old binaries (postmaster, postgres,
> psql and the shared library libpq.so) must be used with the
> new pg_dumpall script; if the binaries still exist, the preinst script of
> the new version can move them somewhere to keep them safe.  But will they
> still exist? or will they already have been removed?  Does dpkg simply
> overwrite them, or does it delete the old version's files before installing
> the new one?

Unfortunately, I'm no expert on dpkg :( You could experiment though.

There might be another solution: create 2 packages: postgresql and
postgresql-compat. The first one should pre-depend on the second one.
In this case posgresql-compat can save all the needed binaries for the
postgresql package.

Just another thought. It's a big work (wich should have been done by
upstream guys, but whatever) -  to extract the piece code of the previous
version of postgresql which would only be able to dump the data
and include that "compatibility" binary into your package.

Alex Y.
--
   _
 _( )_