Re: Adding and removing a user automatically

"Zed" == Zed Pobre <zed@moebius.interdestination.com> writes:
> On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Adam P. Harris wrote:
>>  Um!  Adding users is a gross violation of policy.

>     This is a serious problem.  IRAF functions at the administrative
> level by using a created username (iraf/nobody) and running as that
> user (don't some mailing list programs (majordomo even?) run this
> way?). It even gets a home directory (init-type files go there).  I
> have been informed that if I delete that user, a number of advanced
> functions stop working.  If this cannot be done, the only other
> thing I can do is to put a very lengthy message in the postinst for
> the iraf main package explaining step by step what the user needs to
> do to finish the installation by hand, and then copy that message to
> /usr/doc/iraf.  Or I can write the postinst script, call it
> iraf-presetup, and stick it in /usr/sbin and tell the user to call
> it as root.  Technically, then, they are adding the user.  Should I
> copy this to debian-policy?

No, you may be able to get a user allocated.  But you must ask the
base-password maintainer Galen Hazelwood <galenh@micron.net> that you
want a user added, describe what it's for.  I'm CC Galen here.

This goes for all packages.  Sounds like we need a lintian check!