Re: dynamic DNS

-K
Kevin Poorman <ewigin@softhome.net> <ewigin.home.ml.org>
Do the Free-Ride <free-ride.home.ml.org>

> You are right.  This is indeed a big can of worms.  I've had this idea for a
> while which can possibly be extended to dyndns.  This idea stems from my
> unstoppable desire to have a debian.org hostname ;-)

I here ya.

> I propose we have developers.debian.org  and users.debian.org domains.
> The hostnames in developers.debian.org would be free for developers, but the
> hostnames in users.debian.org would require some kind of (possibly one-time)
> donation to SPI.  These domains need not be managed by the same people who are
> administrating debian.org domain.  We can delegate it to someone who wants to
> maintain this.  And of course, we could have the equivalent dyndns domains for
> those of us who can't get a static IP.

Or instead of a monetary donation donate hardware ... like Ml.org does
.... Money or 4meg of 30 pin sims ... Hum :)

> I know this is not important, but wouldn't it be cool? :-)  The benefits are
> the donations from users, and yet another incentive for becoming a developer.
> However, the latter can be viewed as a bad thing, since we really don't want
> someone becoming a developer just to get the hostname....

So add modefyers to that, so only developers in good standing can get one.
Ie: those who activly maintain there packages ... (betcha this would
shrink the WNPP list _REAL_ fast. :)

> What does everyone think?  I know I am not the only one longing for a
> debian.org hostname :)

I think this is a great Idea ... anyone have the know-how/software to do
this? ... I would realy like to have a debian.org hostname ... (IE:
petra.debian.org or petra.dyn.debian.org)