Re: Uploaded man-db 2.3.10-61 (source i386) for unstable

On Mon, Mar 02, 1998 at 09:47:45PM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> > In fact what I needed was a solution thet could work also on bo, and I
> > know that none of those pagers is available in bo-unstable.
>
> I don't think we should care that much about bo-unstable here. After all,
> there is no official policy to have every program portable to bo-unstable.
> We should not accept `bad' solutions in our packages just to make them fit
> into bo-unstable.
>
> Therefore, I'd suggest you remove the "man-pager" hack again, and add an
> appropriate "Depends: base-files (>= xx.yy)" to the package, and just
> don't upload this to bo-unstable.
>
> Is this ok with you?

No, I have to care about bo-unstable.
A magazine went out with a "bo-on-the-edge" and using the newer man on a
fresh bo install is the perfect way to dive into the "pager" problem.

And I don't think that the Depends line would be correct, because man
doesn't depend on "more".

Anyway I don't think it is so much a "hack".
Pay attention: if, and only if, you don't have a "pager" installed (or
updated) man-db will register (using the correct procedure) more as his
pager; on a subsequent upgrade, if another pager has been installed or
upgraded, this pager won't be registered anymore.
This solution ensure that you'll have a "pager" always available,
avoiding the installation when is not needed.

The only annoyance would be an unclear message during prerm, but I will
drop it on next version.

I agree that I should have thought better before writing the comment in
the changelog ... my apologizes.

fab