Re: Proposal: emacsen and add-on package handling

Hi,

	I was just reading the proposal, an I think I have gotten
 myself confused. Let me try to see what an emacs add on package
 maintainer needs to do.

 1) /usr/lib/<emacs>/packages/emacsen-install/vm
    /usr/lib/<emacs>/packages/emacsen-remove/vm

	So, since <macs> = emacs,xemacs20,emacs19,emacs20, this means
 8 files? What do the files do? Do they compile the .el files? Do they
 move/remove elc files?

Robert>  Don't forget that the argument list to the add-on package
Robert>  install scripts will indicate both the flavor being
Robert>  installed, and the flavors already installed.  In this case,
Robert>  since we're actually installing a flavor, the first argument
Robert>  won't appear in the subsequent arguments.

	I'm very confused.

Robert> C) Each add-on package has the right to place files into the
Robert>    following directories:

Robert>    /etc/<emacs>/site-start.d
Robert>    /usr/lib/<emacs>/site-lisp/<package-name>

	So, four sets of directories? Does that mean emacs contains
 the el files, and x?emacs{19,20} have the elc files?

Robert> 6) Mandatory binary symlink
Robert>
Robert>    Each emacsen main package will have a symlink
Robert>    /usr/bin/<package-name> to /usr/bin/<emacs-binary> so that when
Robert>    add-on package install/remove scripts are called, they can just use
Robert>    /usr/bin/$ARGV[0] to get the right binary for byte-compilation.

	Umm, what is a main package in this context? /usr/bin/vm? That
 can't be right. Does this apply to me at all? or you mean xemacs20
 should point to xemacs-20.3?

	When are the elc files generated? Do I have to have all the
 flavours installed on my box, and pregenerate the elc files?

	manoj
 who rarely gets this flummoxed
--
 If we cannot learn from our mistakes, we just rename them;
 "Success". Jon Loux