lightbar

`$ ,+.
 "s,_/     LightBar 1.1 -
  "$$s.     a serious case of the saturday night fever.
  d$P"$
 .P^$" '   -cash -- Programmed by Trevor F. Linton.
 d$  $s
	read copyright in the doc directory, for information on
	distribution and legal information.

This project was programmed 100% of scratch.

Version 1.10.0 (1.09.1160+) is fully functional and supports 100%
of login processes.

* What is LightBar

   Lightbar is a full login replacement, but is not a login package.
 This program just replaces your /bin/login.  This login replacement
 adds functionality to your login screens for internet providers
 it can provide a full fledged menu system before the user needs to
 login, aside from that automatic pppd detection if necessary, (in
 future releases) better security management with support of, menus
 cursor positioning, setting cpu, ram, how many files open at a time,
 and how many process running limits. ansi codes and executing programs
 safely before a user logs in.  This adds many features from BSD, HPUX
 and other Unix operating systems.  This adds btmp support as well, for
 bad login attempts.

   This has better login management than any other login program,
 although this does not handle the encrypting/decrypting itself
 (except with POSIX linux normal encryption) this will work with any
 shadow or normal login packages, THIS DOES NOT CALL FROM ANY OUTSIDE
 PROGRAMS FOR HELP. All encryption is done inside the dynamiclly linked
 binary, although it does refer to libraries for certain codes (i.e.
 ncurses for it's menus, libc for it's crypt() function.) Although

   LightBar controls it's environment, this is so the program can avoid
 bugs such as LD_PRELOAD exploits, lightbar carefully monitors all
 environment passing through and doesn't make the environment fully
 active until the shell is executed,  LightBar also doesn't allow certain
 environment variables to be added when a program is executed for
 security reasons.  LightBar also monitors signals such as segmentation
 faults, this keeps some password files from being accessed remotely
 before the password file is closed, through a segmentation fault.

   We've actually been able to program a ping pong game that ran before
 the user even logged in, if he won he could login, if he lost he was
 refused login. Of course this is completely useless but shows the power
 of what you can do. :)

 This is tested 100% compatible with the following packages:

	- Posix/BSD Linux standard normal encryption.
	- Generic shadow encryption.
	- shadow-mk by John F. Haugh II.
	- s0nic's crypt() libc encryption.
	- the (old and no longer distributed (disliked)) LightBar package.

 P.S. This could be compatible with other packages such as generic
 shadow packages, i have not tested this on shadow-in-a-box but it
 could possibly work ;P, if the shadow package includes a libshadow.a/so
 with it you might consider trying it out.

   If your shadow package does not have a libshadow.a/so included then
 think about switching to one of the shadow packages listed above or
 contact me and i'll add it support for it into the package.

* Compatability

   LightBar supports all of the login process, from setting terminal
 modes correctly to accessing /etc/securetty and nologin it will work
 completely with other programs, lightbar continues support for options
 added in normal POSIX logins such as the -f option rlogin's and things
 like -p (preserve the environment).  LightBar will function with any
 program that uses normal posix login or shadow-mk's (genernic shadows)
 support.

* Requirements:

  - Linux kernel 2.0.X (THIS DOES NOT SUPPORT SUNOS)
  - ncurses 1.3 (1.9.9a)
  - libc
  - libshadow.a/so and shadow.h (only if your using shadow)
  - tcpd_wrappers (only if you wish to use ident marcos).

* Installation:

  Read the 'INSTALL' file in the docs directory.

* Reporting Bugs or problems.

   Before you report a bug make sure it hasn't already been found and
 is being worked out by reading doc/problems this has a list of the
 so far found bugs/problems.  If your bug or problem your having isn't
 in there read the "Frequently Asked Questions" doc/FAQ it might be a
 configuration problem than a programming bug, if you don't solve your
 problem in there report it immediatly to me, my email address is listed
 along with several contacts in the file: doc/contacts

* Thanks

 Andrew Hobgood		The Bad user idea and source, being a beta tester. :P
 David Ford		Letting me test some of the encryption on his server.
 roler@efnet		for the seterminal code and the _getpass() idea.

   To everyone in #linuxOS@efnet, for putting up with the beta testing
 shit I almost crammed down their throats, I apologize. :P.

* Documentation

 FAQ             -- Frequently asked questions and answers.
 lightbar.manual -- explains how to use documentation for lightbar.
 problems        -- current bugs.
 logo            -- lightbar logo
 copyright       -- lightbar copyright distribution information etc.
 changes         -- changes in the program, reversions..