Re: Multipart package (IRAF)

Zed Pobre <zed@moebius.interdestination.net> wrote:
>     As a subthought -- what's the policy on starting a package in
> contrib and moving it to main at a later date? I could get the
> initial stuff wrapped up, and if I manage to get everything into a -
> -buildpackage recognizable form I could up the Debian subversion by
> one and move it to main at that time.

The only policy on this is the policy that says what goes in each.

In this case, it probably is a good idea to do exactly that -- first
get the overall packaging issues sorted out, and create some contrib
packages. Then, repackage it (perhaps with different package boundaries
and thus different package names) and distribute it for real.

You'll probably want to include something about your intentions
in the interim version.

Finally, the primary security holes that can occur with binaries
run under a user account has to granting access to the machine from
a random place on the net.  If iraf listens to ip sockets then that's
a potential vulnerability.

--
Raul