Multipart package (IRAF)

I've finally found a piece of software that I think might be useful to
Debian (it would actually be a major selling point to people in the
astronomy, physics and astrophysics fields) that I might actually be
able to maintain without upgrading to hamm, but I have a few questions
before I offer to wrap it up:

The software package comes in three primary source files, one of which
is general, and the other two of which contain the statically linked
binaries.  Source is sort of provided for the entire thing, but not in
a format that uses conventional Makefiles.  In short, I have a package
where the source *is* in fact provided, but is effectively inseparable
from the binaries, and the binaries are huge.  I don't want to
recompile the entire mess for two reasons: 1) I don't know enough
about IRAF to make sure that I won't break something even if I get it
to compile, 2) I'd have to do it once for libc5 and then again for
libc6 on va and I *know* I won't be able to fix any bugs I made coming
in off of two different systems.  My original thought was to create
the three "base" files and a master file that contained just the
scripts required to set up the system.  My next option was to run the
entire thing into one package, but it'll have a mother of a
transmission time as the installed size is 150 megs.

If I make it four packages, three of those packages are going to have
as source packages a lot of files, and no code to compile.  One of
those packages is going to contain a lot of source code, some of which
is internally necessary for the program to automagically create some
of the things it creates, most of which is source for the program
itself, and no way to distinguish between the two.  What does Policy
dictate that I do with something like this?  Also, is it preferable
for me to make three base packages based entirely upon the stuff I
downloaded from the NOAO IRAF site, and one package that is created
from scratch to finish up the install that depends upon the other
three, or is it preferable to write the install scripts into one of
the three base files and make it depend upon the other two?

And as a last question, the following copyright *looks* like it meets
the standard for "free", but I thought I'd post it to see if anyone
else sees something suspicious:

Copyright(c) 1986 Association of Universities for Research in
Astronomy Inc.  The IRAF software is publicly available, but is NOT in
the public domain.  The difference is that copyrights granting rights
for unrestricted use and redistribution have been placed on all of the
software to identify its authors.  You are allowed and encouraged to
take this software and use it as you wish, subject to the restrictions
outlined below.
Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above
copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright
notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation,
and that references to the Association of Universities for Research in
Astronomy Inc. (AURA), the National Optical Astronomy Observatories
(NOAO), or the Image Reduction and Analysis Facility (IRAF) not be
used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the
software without specific, written prior permission from NOAO.  NOAO
makes no representations about the suitability of this software for
any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or implied
warranty.
NOAO DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING
ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT
SHALL NOAO BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR
PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER
TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR
PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

And that about wraps it up.  Comments, anyone?

Zed Pobre  <zcp@po.cwru.edu>  |  PGP key on servers, fingerprint on finger