Re: Removing /usr/lib/sendmail

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:

> Hello.
>
> The /usr/lib/sendmail symlink is required by policy, but anybody can
> remove it by hand on his system.
>
> I encourage everybody using hamm to remove it. Only that way we will
> discover how many programs are not using /usr/sbin/sendmail yet.

A quick check (using "strings") revealed that /usr/sbin/atd contains the
string "/usr/lib/sendmail", but the line above it says only "sendmail", so
I think it first looks for sendmail in $PATH and then in /usr/lib .

Also, the default .pinerc as generated by pine in my home directory
contains these lines:

---cut---
# This names the path to an alternative program, and any necessary arguments,
# to be used in posting mail messages.  Example:
#                    /usr/lib/sendmail -oem -t -oi
# or,
#                    /usr/local/bin/sendit.sh
# The latter a script found in Pine distribution's contrib/util directory.
# NOTE: The program MUST read the message to be posted on standard input,
#       AND operate in the style of sendmail's "-t" option.
sendmail-path=
---end---

BTW, one line catched my eye in the output of 'strings atd':

idiotic option - aborted

When does atd give this error message?

Remco