Re: i

>>>>> "JPL" == Jean Pierre LeJacq <jplejacq@quoininc.com> writes:

    JPL: I agree with the sentiment that programs with short names will
    JPL: tend to collide with other programs with the same name.  But is
    JPL: it appropriate to rename programs from their upstream source?
    JPL: For example, I maintain the "wn" http server which has been
    JPL: known by that name for several years.  Its unlikely that the
    JPL: upstream author will change its name.

I agree.  The same applies to my package swi-prolog.  SWI Prolog binary
is called `pl'.  I could rename it to `prolog', but it calls for
collision with another Prolog interpreter.  Other names would be
confusing to users.

The binary should be renamed only if it really has some problems.  Then
upstream author(s) can be asked about renaming their binaries with
stronger argument then only "possible name space pollution".

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
"Having GNU Emacs is like having a dragon's cave of treasures."
                                                Robert J. Chassell