Re: /etc/ppp/pap-secrets is read/writable only by root

> 5) Run wvdial only as root.  WvDial-0.30 will be available shortly with the
>    ability to modify /etc/ppp/{pap,chap}-secrets whenever it has permission.

It seems to me that the +ua option has been removed because it allows the
possibility of a user bringing up a connection to a machine to which the
sysadmin had not intended to allow them to connect.

I would not expect many people to be paranoid enough to worry about this, but
those that do would be upset by us re-enabling the +ua option.

Presumably, once you've run wvdial as root once, the secrets do not need
modification and the link will come up if it is run non-root ?

Is it enough to insist that it be run as root the first time that each
connection is set up ?  What other problems are caused if this is done ?

Cheers, Phil.