Re: Gratuitous promotion of random binaries to standard

On Sat, Feb 7 1998 17:13 +1100 Tyson Dowd writes:
> There is no longer a "standard" Unix system. There's simply too much
> software that people use everyday.
Well, there is POSIX.2, so everybody working on a Unix-system (or clone
thereof) expects the utilities defined in POSIX.2.

Of course, POSIX.2 fails to mention LaTeX or emacs, unfortunately :(

[What is `standard' for whom, with which I largely agree]

> Probably a better solution than "standard" is to have suggested base
> configurations (lists of packages) that are grouped according to
> people's needs - for example "Linux Newbie" or "Power Artist" or
> "Webmaster" or "Kernel Hacker" that have tools and applications
> appropriate to the particular user. Of course, this is just a
> kick-start to the normal package selection system.
This could be accomplished by meta-packages: e.g. empty packages depending on the whole set of packages. deity possibly supports this already (Deity people,
is this the case?)

David