Re: lintian -- detecting hundrets of bugs within seconds...
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: lintian -- detecting hundrets of bugs within seconds...
- From: Manoj Srivastava <email@example.com>
- Date: 06 Feb 1998 14:24:18 -0600
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: "Christian Hudon"'s message of "Fri, 6 Feb 1998 13:21:51 -0500"
- References: <Pine.LNX.3.96.980125231316.9061B-100000@monet> <19980126122254.40447@heorot> <email@example.com.OZ.AU> <19980127093622.42350@heorot> <firstname.lastname@example.org.OZ.AU> <email@example.com> <19980206132151.19023@pianocktail>
[I really tried to keep out of this]
>>"Christian" == Christian Hudon <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
Christian> [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>] On Monday, February 02,
Christian> Juergen Menden wrote
>> please drop python. might be a great language, superiour to perl
>> in every way one can think of. but we all have to use perl already,
>> it's not only on the base disks, it's even used in lintian! and i
>> don't have the space to install another big language.
Christian> Please drop perl and use C. C programs don't even *need* an
Christian> interpreter taking up space on the hard drive... and even
Christian> perl is written in C! :-)
This is not an pissing contest. Interpreted languages, both
Perl and python, make it far easier to rapidly prototype code, and
even to write stable products in. Rejecting either in favour of C
merely shows you have no grasp of the concepts being debated here.
Christian> We can't force developers to install lots of packages, but
Christian> we can force them to install a few. And it's not like
Christian> python-base is very big:
Yes; but the point is that we already have perl-base in
Debian, and it is essintial; python base need not be installed.
I think it would indeed be better if lintian (as well as any
other package) minimized the dependencies. But it is, after all, your
package, and your decision; I just object to the reasons being
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. Graffiti
Manoj Srivastava <email@example.com> <http://www.datasync.com/%7Esrivasta/>
Key C7261095 fingerprint = CB D9 F4 12 68 07 E4 05 CC 2D 27 12 1D F5 E8 6E
TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
Trouble? e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .