Re: web address in control file

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, James A.Treacy wrote:
>
> Other keywords that have been suggested before:

> Mailing-Lists: upstream mailing lists
>  -- actually, I think the /usr/doc/<pkg>/README file would be the correct
> place for this info--but someone suggested it

	Having a URL in the control file is good. A separate field is
perhaps not neccessary.  If it's in the description field, then it can be
seen easily in dselect and can be visited.  Also the webpage on debian.org
for my packages makes a link out of the URLs in the description.  I assume
this was automatic, and is a good thing.
	I was messing with a script to generate an html doc listing
documentation on packages.  dwww and the other one (?) group docs by
format, ie man pages, html, etc. and only include local docs.  A nice
thing would be to have docs sorted by package.  That is under package
"foo", have a links the man page, any README's ,local html, postscript ,
and an external web page.  I got the external URL's from searching the
description field (quite a few packages include a URL there).
	You could search for a URL somewhere in /usr/doc/foo , but this
works only for installed packages.  It would be nice if something could
parse the Packages file and present the user with the opportunity to check
it out before installing.
	Bottom line is:
	 URL's in description field don't take too much space

	 is very easy to access from scripts

	 Already being effectivly used.(visible in dselect and translated
into links on www.debian.org/packages.html )

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>