Re: Confusion over device major:minor numbering...

On Wed, Jan 28, 1998 at 01:05:25PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> A different type of the same class of confusion stems from:
> 	8:16 is used by both /dev/sda16 and /dev/sdb
> and every other scsi device overlaps in this fashion.

No it doesn't. There are only 15 partitions allowed on each scsi disc. Your
/dev/sda16 was probably created by an old, broken, version of makedev.

>From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt:

  8 block       SCSI disk devices
                  0 = /dev/sda          First SCSI disk whole disk
                 16 = /dev/sdb          Second SCSI disk whole disk
                 32 = /dev/sdc          Third SCSI disk whole disk
                240 = /dev/sdp          Sixteenth SCSI disk whole disk

                Partitions are handled in the same way as for IDE
                disks (see major number 3) except that the limit on
                partitions is 15.

> Can someone please releave my cluelessness and explain what "little" point
> I am missing?

In this case, that your system is broken (probably not through any fault of
yours). Others have already pointed out where you were getting confused in
the other case.