Re: Package unions (fwd)

On 27-Jan-98 Behan Webster wrote:
> Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Behan Webster wrote:
>>
>> > I am working on an idea more like dpkg --set-selections.  A file lists a
>> > set of pacakges that constitues a certain kind of debian setup (e.g.
>> > minimum setup, server, X workstatio, etc.).  The only thing this is used
>> > for is the initial setup and it has no ongoing affect as to the packages
>> > installed on the system.
>> The information for these sets would not be in the packages file and
would
>> not be part of the Dependancy mechanism.

If you extend this idea towards recursive file lists you get package unions.
If the installation tool enables browsing this tree of packages/file lists, it
would be perfect.

Stefan Karrmann                                    __
                                                  / /\
EMail: Stefan.Karrmann@math.uni-karlsruhe.de     / /  \
Post: Engelstr. 2, Zimmer 004, 76131 Karlsruhe  / / /\ \
Tel: +49|0-721-608-3311                        / / /\ \ \
Post: Ludwig-Wilhelm-Str. 10, 76131 Karlsruhe / /_/__\ \ \
priv: +49|0-721-699184                       /________\ \ \