Re: Re^2: gated licensing?

In addition to the coverage on this topic in
http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html#guidelines I think there
should be FAQ entry which deals specifically with this point. [Maybe
if I can figure out how to phrase it properly I'll try plugging
something into the faqomatic.]

Marco Budde <Marco.Budde@hqsys.antar.com> wrote:
> SE> Gated people require a licence to be signed to distribute their code.
>
> That's right, but where's the problem? And there're a lot of other
> interesting programs with the same problem: for example spice.

That's not the issue.  People are perfectly capable of using code that's
in non-free.

> SE> Debian isn't willing to submit to a non-free licence, so we don't have
>
> ??? Why not? Who has decided that?

Tell you what: try applying for a license that would allow *anyone*
who *uses* debian to freely distribute gated as free software.  If
your petition is granted, this will be equivalent to lifting that
restriction from the license.

--
Raul