Re: #17414: /usr/include/asm empty?

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:
> >
> > > Package: libc6-dev
> > > Version: 2.0.6-1
> > >
> > > After installing this package, /usr/include/asm is empty in my system.
> > > I know libc6-dev now depends on kernel-headers_2.0.32.
> > > Is that a broken package?
> > >
> > The current version of libc6-dev is 2.0.6-3 and provides links to the
> > kernel-headers for the directories /usr/include/asm and /usr/include/linux
> > in a proper fashion. Please check out the new version.
>
> Installing the new version over the old one did not solve the problem.
> Today, however, reinstalling kernel-headers-2.0.32 did it.

On my test install, dpkg complained when trying to install libc6-dev
without kernel-headers-2.0.32 installed, so I assume you had "some"
version of 2.0.32 installed. (is it possible you removed the headers via
some non-dpkg route?)
As the current version provides the links, they can only be functional
when there is something for them to point to. The something, in this case
is kernel-headers. If there are no --force options being used the current
version of kernel-headers-2.0.32, and the current version of libc6-dev are
each correctly configured. Since these are what will be delivered, it
sounds like a fix to me.

> So, it seems that either:
>
> 1. There is a particular order in which libc6-dev and
> kernel-headers-2.0.32 should be installed.

Yes, and this dependency is properly declared, and dpkg/dselect will do
things correctly.

> or
>
> 2. This is just a bug in the old libc6-dev that messed up the header
> files so much that libc6-dev actually removed them.

While I doubt it, dpkg has been known to do some perculiar things at
times.

> [ If 2. is what happens here, then I suppose that the upgrade from
> `bo' to `hamm' is now safe. In such case, I think this bug may be
> closed. ]

Me Too ;-)

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-