Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy

Hi,

Juan> On Fri, Jan 16, 1998 at 04:53:07PM -0600, srivasta@datasync.com
Juan> wrote:
>>  However, an alternative is to link to /usr/src/linux-2.0.30. This
>> link is provided by just kernel-source-2.0.32 or
>> kernel-headers-2.0.32, and *no other* kernel package! So, libc6-dev
>> depends can now provide 2.0.32 kernel headers *for all
>> architectures*, with no messy architecture dependent patches, we
>> always have fixed, static, known good headers in
>> /usr/include/{linux,asm}, and this is goodness.

Juan> But `kernel-source-2.0.32' and `kernel-headers-2.0.32' are
Juan> `Architecture: all', so *the same headers* are used by all the
Juan> archs, without the possibility to avoid it.  However, on Sparc
Juan> we use a different set of kernel includes, which modify not only
Juan> the asm-sparc/ directory, but also the linux/ one.  This was
Juan> easy to fix before: /usr/include/linux/whatever.h was inside
Juan> libc6-dev_*_sparc.deb; but now that file is inside
Juan> kernel-*_all.deb.

	Well, anything in the upstream kernel sources would work
 transparently. As of 2.1.79, that means i386, sparc, m68k, sparc64,
 alpha, mips, and ppc (things may well look different for older
 kernels).

	The way it has been handled in the past is that official
 maintainers of each distribution has sneeaked in and put in the
 correct set of files in the binary-*/devel/ directories.

	Yes. this make the architecture: all a lie, but it has not yet
 been an issue.

	The understanding is that the maintainers of other
 architectures shall feed changes back to Herbert Xu, who can then
 make a common Debian official source package.

	While the newer architectures have been volatile, my
 understanding is that rules have been a trifle lax.

Juan> Do you understand my problem with this?

	Should I change the architecture of the kernel-headers package
 from all to any?

	manoj
--
 Like all women, she believed that rest and pleasure were bad for
 men. Fritz Leiber, _Swords and Ice Magic_