Re: setuid programms

On Mon, Jan 19, 1998 at 03:27:41PM -0500, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:

> > man mandb
>
> Man is suid or sgid as the user "man" so that the man program can manage
> uncompressed roff files and perform other maintenance functions
> in the man dirs.  Fairly reasonable.

Ahem, nothing to do with uncompressed files or man dirs (if this refers
to /usr/man/...: they are root.root and programs setuid man cannot access).
man and mandb are setuid "man" because this way we can restrict access
to /var/catman hierarchy to "man" and "root" only.
It is possible to use man-db without setuid programs if you let /var/catman
world writable.

Fabrizio