tcl (was Re: bo-updates - tcl troubles)

On Mon, Jan 19, 1998 at 08:15:29PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:

> IMO tcl and tk would both be a lot more useful if every upgrade wasn't
> incompatible with previous versions of the language.  i mostly gave up on
> hunting for tcl & tk freeware on the net because just about every useful
> thing i found (with noteable exceptions like tkdesk and tkinfo which i
> packaged for debian) only worked with a specific version of the language.

As I understand it, most scripts are portable, though there are occasional
things to catch you out. Anything that tries to combine it with C is
unlikely to work with different versions; the different versions aren't even
properly source compatible, never mind binary compatible.

Having said that, tkrat works fine with both 8 and the previous versions.