Re: kernel headers---FAQ

On 17 Jan 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> 	[I know I said I won't argue this firther, but I have to
> 	counteract the FUD]
> >>"Avery" == Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@worldvisions.ca> writes:
>
> Avery> Further, while it's not difficult to do, most users won't know
> Avery> to do it until AFTER they've shlocked their system by unpacking
> Avery> a kernel into the already-symlinked /usr/src/linux, or
> Avery> converted their libc6-dev installation into an unworkable mess
> Avery> due to a failed installation of kernel-headers.
>
> 	One may un-shlock one's system (whatever that means) by simply
>  rm -rf /usr/src/linux and re run the config command (either in
>  dslect, or as dpkg -c -a). Quite simple. The kernel-headers package
>  shall configure itself with no further fuss.

Will you explain this to all non linux-expert users upgrading to hamm one
by one ? Don't you think it would be easier to give the explanation in the
kernel-*.deb postinst if it fails to create the symlink ?

Greg

Ps. I think that if the Debian way contradicts the usual Linux way, then
Debian should be able to recover if someone does things the usual way. Do
we want to scare people off just because they did the things found in the
kernel docs ?

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
              HuLUG: http://www.cab.u-szeged.hu/local/linux/