Re: Mailcrypt - EMACS package maintainers please read this message.

"Davide G. M. Salvetti" <salve@debian.org> writes:

>   - is it already included with XEmacs (like AUC TeX, for example)?
>     Emacs20?  I'll add a note to Description in this case.

I don't see it in emacs 20.

> and two general elisp package questions (EMACS package maintainers please
> help me):
>
>   - where is an elisp package supposed to put shared byte compiled elisp
>     files in?
>
>   - where is it supposed to put conffiles?  (/etc/elisp?
>     /etc/elisp/package? /etc/package?)

I posted a proposal recently to both debian-devel and debian policy
about how to handle add-on packages and the various emacsen.  Could
you read that and see what you think?  Unless there are major
objections, that proposal's probably going to become policy.

If you have questions about the proposal, I'd be more than happy to
answer them.

> 3) I see there are a lot of packages (though not elisp ones) installing
> stuff in /usr/share, which is BTW Emacs 19 standard shared files place:
> would not be better to use that place (also see FSSTND 6.3), as in
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/{,package}?

The emacsen may switch to /usr/share soon.  I think we discussed this
recently, and people seemed to think it was a good idea.  I'll talk to
the other maintainers and see what they think...

If they agree, I'll update my proposal.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>