Re: kernel headers---FAQ

Hi,
>>"Avery" == Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@worldvisions.ca> writes:

Avery> Okay, so maybe it's new Debian policy that /usr/src is owned by
Avery> Debian.

	Sorry, no. Ever since we have had .deb files for kernels, we
 have had /usr/src/linux manipulated by kernel packages. This is not
 new.

	Moreever, this is not new as policy either. From the
 beggining, Debian has said it supports the Linux Filesystem
 Structure. It has this to say, unequivocally, about /usr/src (the
 date on this document is  March 28, 1995 -- I would hardly call that
 new)

	   4.12  /usr/src : Source code
	   /usr/src -- Source code

	   +-linux     Source code for Linux kernel

	   Any non-local source code should be placed in this
	   subdirectory.  The only source code that should always be
	   placed in a specific location is the kernel source (when
	   present or linked in part to the /usr/include structure).
	   Subdirectories may be used here if desired.

	See? Non local source code.

Avery> Besides mentioning the fact that people aren't going
Avery> to like this, I'm going to say only that _I_ myself am going to
Avery> jolly well go on using /usr/src myself no matter what you say.
Avery> (I also know what I'm doing.  Many people would be well advised
Avery> to follow the instructions.)

	Then don't complain. You break Debian policy on your machine
 (as is your right), then Debian is no longer responsible for
 support.

Avery> The real question here is why kernel-headers and kernel-source
Avery> bother to make the /usr/src/linux symlink at all, and worse
Avery> still, fail when they can't do it.  As far as I can tell,
Avery> NOTHING in debian refers to /usr/src/linux.

	Also from The Linux Filesystem Structure:

	 The source code for the kernel should always be in place or
	 at least the include files from the kernel source.  Those
	 files are located in these directories:

	      /usr/src/linux/include/asm-<arch>
	      /usr/src/linux/include/linux

	 /usr/src/linux may also be a symbolic link to a kernel source
	 code tree.

Avery> To wit:
Avery> $ ls -ld /usr/include/{linux,asm} ... /usr/include/asm ->
Avery> /usr/src/linux-2.0.32/include/asm ... /usr/include/linux ->
Avery> /usr/src/linux-2.0.32/include/linux

Avery> This is good, and as it should be.  If I install my own kernel
Avery> sources in /usr/src/linux-2.0.32, and then install
Avery> kernel-source-2.0.32_*.deb, I deserve what I get.

	Quite.

Avery> But why must the packages fiddle with /usr/src/linux itself?
Avery> People manually installing a kernel will try to put it there.
Avery> People may overwrite debian files with their kernel by
Avery> accident.  No debian tools I know of need that link.  And now I
Avery> can't upgrade libc6 if I've unpacked a kernel!

	As I said, we follow Standards (unlike microsoft ;-). If you
 have a problem with the standards, take it up eith the standards
 committee. You break Debian policy, you have no right to complain.

Avery> This is going to confuse users.

	Only if they have preset incorrect preconceptions.

	manoj

--
 Make the most of the day, by determining to spend it on two sort of
 acquaintances only--those by whom something may be got, and those