Re: web address in control file.

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, G John Lapeyre wrote:
>
> > 	This is probably not the first time this brilliant idea has
> > appeared.  Can we encourage developers to put their package's web site in
> > the description. This would work well with future utilities that extract
> > info from control files. (eg convert available file to html.)
>
> If we are going to do this could we use a url field? It would be
> nice to be able to automatically parse the url out.
>
> I think this came up once before but I forget what the end result was.

Yes, this ideas comes up every few months :)

The result was to postpone the discussion about any new control fields
until Klee (dpkg maintainer) announces the new source package format he
claimed to be working on (since that might also require new control
fields).

However, AFAIK Klee is really very busy now, so we might not want to wait
that long.

Several new fields have been suggested (I'll dig into my mail archive if
the discussion starts again), including "Author", etc.

The major argument against any new fields is that all control fields are
included in the Packages/available/status files, and since these files are
already very large, dpkg & friends will probably slow down if we add more
control fields.

Comments?

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com