Re: rxvt backspace still broken

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Brian Mays wrote:

> > rxvt still doesn't work with, for example, ncftp.  The backspace key
> > does not perform the desired action (c-H does, though).
> >
> > With xterm, I have never had any problem with the backspace and it
> > continues to work fine.
>
> This is true.  The correct solution is to provide a new rxvt terminfo
> entry with kbs (the BackSpace key capability) set to ^?.

It seems that the new version of ncurses uses the kbs capability in terminfo
to OVERRIDE the stty setting.  I consider this to be seriously wrong, and
I'm sure it's never done it before.  However, it's obviously doing it now:

	export TERM=rxvt   (kbs == ^H)
	pine		   (backspace doesn't work)
	export TERM=vt100  (kbs == ^?, though odd since real vt100's used ^H)
	pine		   (backspace DOES work)

ncftp works similarly to pine.

While I'm here, I'll complain about a couple more things:

- bash doesn't use /etc/inputrc, ncftp does.
  (I can load it by putting 'bind -f /etc/inputrc' in /etc/profile,
   but that's cheating.)

- the default settings in /etc/inputrc sort of work, but don't really make
  sense.  Readline should be using the terminfo entry.  The entries for rxvt
  and linux are the same.

- Why don't rxvt and xterm set the 'stty' settings on their pty's properly
  before they run the shell?  (As long as rxvt does the auto-guessing stuff,
  I support we're okay also.  However, I can't really see how guessing from
  a possibly-uninitialized randomly-set pty is going to help much.)

Sorry for ranting, it's just that the backspace problem has been annoying me
for YEARS, and I'd be really pleased if someone fixed it reasonably.

Have fun,

Avery
(the Backspace Avenger)