Intent to package WvDial

The subject line is a bit of a misnomer, as WvDial is already packaged and
available from our web site:
		http://www.worldvisions.ca/wvdial/

However, I'm now actually a Debian developer (I think... well, I have an
account on master) so I can upload the package to the ftp site.

For those who haven't heard, WvDial is an "intelligent" PPP dialer for Linux
that uses heuristics instead of chat scripts.  The success rate has been
nothing short of astonishing. (And I made the thing, I'm supposed to be
optimistic!) Quite a lot of people have written me saying that they never
would have figured out how to get Linux PPP set up on their own, if they
hadn't had this tool.

Anyway, the version on the web site (0.20) is compiled under libc5 and won't
work with pppd 2.3.x; I'll have to work those things out before I upload the
real package.  (Libc6 is no problem -- I just compiled under libc5
specifically so more people could beta test for me.)

In the meantime, I have a few questions that I hope people can help me with:

1) Is there a way to tell pppd 2.3.x how to authenticate without changing
   /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and chap-secrets?  WvDial stores authentication
   information in /etc/wvdial.conf and I'd rather not be rewriting *-secrets
   files on the fly -- it leads to all kinds of nasty race conditions.
   (pppd 2.2.x had the wonderful +ua option, and it's gone in 2.3.x, which
   is why wvdial won't work with it yet)

2) I want to divert the 'ppp' package's /usr/bin/{pon,poff} files and then
   use the alternatives mechanism.  I don't know exactly how to do this.  If
   someone (hello Phil Hands, ppp package maintainer) could look at my
   postinst and prerm and see if I did this right, I'd appreciate it hugely.

3) Any other problems you see with the program/packaging?

Thanks a lot, and have fun.

Avery