Font policy and font manager

Hi developers,

	a long time ago we had a little discussion about font policy
(were to put Type1 font and such) and I promised to write (well, to
try to) a font manager. The font manager isn't there yet but I have
written some perl scripts usefull in installing Type1 fonts and make
them available to Ghostscript and X11. These scripts are available in
project/experimental and if non objects I will release a copy of the
freefonts package that install the fonts using my scripts.

	At now the scripts only support Type1 fonts. Every package puts
his type1 fonts where it wants: I propose to keep all the fonts
togeheter, in /usr/share/fonts/type1/outlines. This has the additional
benefit that duplicate fonts will be revealed by dpkg overwrites.

	Plase TeX, X11 and Ghostscript maintainers, take a look at
it and tell me what do you think. Maybe your packages can use it to
install the fonts in the future.

	I plan to write the real fontmanager (GUI & CO.) soon: it will let
the user install fonts in his home dir and root install
fonts system-wide. Support for the TrueType font server and TeX (argh!)
will hopefully be added in the future.

	Ciao,

* Federico Di Gregorio  |  /      *-=$< ;-) TeX Wizard?            *
* Debian developer!     | / -1    pgp: finger fog@perosa.alpcom.it *
* <friend of penguins>  |/        try http://www.debian.org        *
******************DE 9E B2 75 B4 F6 CC 5B  C3 D5 71 51 04 AB F3 B2**