Incremental uploads ? (Was: Roadmap for Debian 2.0)

Christian Leutloff writes:
 > Yann Dirson <ydirson@a2points.com> writes:
 > > > [stuff about allowing packages to conform to one
 > > > standard-version while claiming an older one]
 > > >
 > > The alternative would be to add an separated mechanism just for that.
 > > I guess this would somehow be wasted time, unless it is made generic
 > > enough.  Then what about allowing control-files-only uploads (just
 > > like we have binary-only uploads), which would override the
 > > control-file in the previously uploaded version, but reuse the
 > > internal tarfile, while still bumping the debian-release part of the
 > > package-version ?
 >
 > you gain very little because all our mirrors will load the binary ...

If the new binaries are then rebuilt on the server, yes, we won't gain
much.  But if we make dpkg-ftp aware of this new "package-type", we
won't have this need to rebuild all packages on the server, and then
we will gain much bandwidth when mirroring.

Such a mechanism will also encourage people with slow links (like me)
to maintain large data packages, like freefonts and probably others,
for which many updates will only involve control info.

For these reasons, I think it would be a nice opportunity to first
test the 1st part of the mechanism with this "Standard-version" issue.

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: