Re: Emacsen intermediate step proposal.

> 1) Have all emacs flavors add "Provides: emacsen" to their control
> file.  It would be nice to just use emacs as the virtual package name
> rather than emacsen, but I don't think we can do that and maintain
> automatic upgrades.  I'm no expert on dpkg upgrade behavior, so I'd be
> happy to be corrected.  Ideally we'd like to move emacs to be emacs19,
> and let emacs be the virtual package name.  Perhaps some clever
> control files in emacs19 and the new helper package propsed in (4)
> could work around this problem.  Ideas?

I think we should really try to just "Provides: emacs" instead of
emacsen.  From what I know of dpkg, you should just be able to
add the "Provides:" with each package (emacs19, xemacs20, etc) as
it gets released.  There will be an initial problem if somebody
installs both the existing "emacs" package and "xemacs20", but that
will go away soon enough.

Oh yeah...  The new "emacs19" package will also need a "Replaces: emacs"
line.

I think that should take care of it.  Does anybody know differently?

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )