Re: Debian 2.0 release requirements

Alex Yukhimets writes:
> on the screen. I am not that lucky, since I am using cyrillic alphabet
> where ALL letters use non-ascii codes but _most_ of them look exactly like
> English ones.

Like ascii K and koi K, right?

> can easily be pressed unintentionally).  As a result I will be getting
> VERY annoying mistakes, which could be simply avoided by having only
> 7-bit clean editor. The fact is that I would recompile the editor myself
> to avoid what I just described.

That would be too limiting, you couldn't use that editor for composing
8-bit mail. Most of the people are not programmers, remember. What would be
better is to have the editor in program mode warn you (beep/flash/color
char red) if you press 8-bit keys and accept them in normal text mode. This
is doable with emacsen and some vi's, I think.

Of course, you could make a dedicated programming editor, complete with
integrated debugging, version control, project management, and automatic
documentation generation etc, which would reject any 8-bit chars outside
comments, but that's a different story.

-Topi