Re: /usr/bin disappeared. Do we really follow FSSTND?

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:

> A friend of mine has a machine on the net whose /usr/bin directory has
> disappeared. The machine has a Debian mirror, so any package is
> available to be installed again, however:
>
> `dpkg' was in /usr/bin, so currently there is no package manager.
>
> `ftp' was also in /usr/bin, so if the machine would not have a Debian
> mirror, no package could be downloaded (they may be "uploaded", however).
>
> `ar' was in /usr/bin so if you want to uncompress a .deb package by hand,
> you can't.
>
> Question: Would not `dpkg', `ar' and `ftp' have to be in /bin
> instead of /usr/bin?
>
> [ FSSTND says /usr/bin are just "Binaries that are not needed in
> single-user mode", ha, ha... ]

But what if the /bin disappears instead of /usr/bin, then?

Your proposal doesn't solve anything. If you are afraid that such problem
pops up again, just copy the important utilities in both /bin and
/usr/bin...

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -