please tell me about release-critical bugs

Hi folks!

I've started to collect release-critical bugs. Here are some first
guidelines regarding release-critical bugs:

 - No package included in Debian 2.0 may have open release-critical
   bugs. If release-critical bugs are present at release time, either the
   release will be postponed giving the maintainers more time to fix the
   bugs _or_ the packages will be removed. (This depends on the importance
   of the packages.)

 - Any bug with severity level `important', `grave', or `critical' is
   release-critical `automatically.' You do NOT have to tell me about
   such bugs, since I'll periodically check the bug tracking system for
   them with a script.

   Note, that changing the severity level back to `normal' without
   discussion or fix does not make a bug less release-critical :)

 - Any bug which clearly fails our release requirements (check out
http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-roadmap/hamm/requirements.html
   for details) is also marked `release-critical'.

   If you discover a package failing some release requirement, please
   me or debian-devel of the situation.

   Examples:

      - packages in main or contrib failing the DFSG
      - packaging based on libc5 (other than those in oldlibs/)
      - unresolved dependencies in main
      - packages depending on packages with lower priority
      - illegal use of virtual packages
      - package overlaps
      - MTAs and MUAs not using the correct locking scheme
      - etc.

   (Time will show if this rule is workable. I don't know yet.
   If the list of release-critical bugs grows to large, we'll have to
   think of a better idea ;-)

 - I'll periodically report the outstanding release-critical bugs to this
   list. In addition, I'm considering to set up a web page where people
   can check the current list.

 - At code freeze time, I'll send every maintainer with release-critical
   bugs a short mail asking him/her if he/she has enough time to fix the
   bugs in the next week. If someone does not reply and does not upload
   a fixed package for a week, I'll send a list of the corresponding
   packages to debian-devel, asking for non-maintainer uploads.

   (Note, that we running a volunteer organization. Therefore, it's
   likely that not all maintainers have enough time to fix their bugs in
   time. This is ok with me. However, we should _know_ about this
   situation so that we can find other maintainers to make the bug fixes.)

 - Currently, there are 80 critical/graves bugs in the bug tracking
   system.

Any comments/critics/suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/