Re: Locked out of Root after attemting to change shells

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, smb@execpc.com wrote:

> was trying to change my login shell for root the other day with chsh,
> I accidently typed in an incorrect path to the shell I wanted.  Being
Learn to use sudo,  when you need to work as root.  It helps eliminate
some "oops"es that can really fuggle things up. :)

> every time I log on as root, I get an error message that says 'shell not
> found' and I am promptly logged off the system.  Is there
edit  /etc/passwd and change the shell entry (last one on the line for
root)  to whatever you wanted it to be.  You'll probably need to boot from
the rescue disk and mount the filesystem,  then edit the file,
because you can't edit /etc/passwd without root priveledges.

For example,

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

is the line that concerns root,  and you want to change /bin/bash to
/bin/tcsh or whatever.  Make a backup copy of the passwd file 'fore you
play with it,  though.

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |