Re: Debian 2.0 release requirements

> Support of 8-bit characters by default
>
>      Some programs need special configuration options to work 8-bit
>      clean. This is very important for a lot of non-English users who
>      need to input umlauts, accented characters, etc. All Debian
>      packages will be configured to be 8-bit clean by default.

Hi.

I would like to question the need for this requirement.
While this can be of importance to some users, it can be quite
annoying to others. What it means is saying "good-bye" to clean
ascii e-mail, etc. What is more important, *some* utilities,
"less" most notably, *shouldn't* be 8-bit clean.

I think we should put a little bit more thought into this decision.
Not *all* packages should be 8-bit clean in any case, and for some
others, I would still prefer to have some options.

Thanks.

Alex Y.

--
   _